Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Confessions of a Foodie

For me, food has always had an amazing power to conjure up warm feelings and happy memories. I may not be able to remember dates or birthdays or certain names, but I can remember every special, and not so special eating experience I have ever had.

I blame my grandmother, Mema, for my passion for food. She made having a cup of hot tea an event. She poured the steaming hot brew into a special china tea cup, made sure I scooped up the bubbles with my spoon for good luck, added tiny sugar cubes decorated with sugar flowers, and always accompanied the tea with something sweet. Tea and sweets were her weakness and her passion. Every time I have a cup of tea, those feelings of a wide eyed little girl sharing special time with her grandmother come to mind and I get a big smile on my face.

I had the same big smile this week when I was presented with a gift from my son - a box of crushed almond macaroons all the way from Mike's Pastry in Boston. Immediately my thoughts returned to the November night my son, Ryan, and I visited Mike's Pastry in Boston's North End. The cookies were amazing, but the time spent with my son was the best. All it took was seeing the box to bring it all back. Thanks Ryan for my cookie "hug".

As I keep telling my friends...don't ever underestimate the power of a cookie.


Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment