Sunday, February 22, 2009

An Allergen-Free Cookie Adventure

This weekend's cookie adventure took me to Liberty Bakery in search of a tasty cookie for my gluten intolerant friend, Victoria. The bakery was recently featured in an article in the Orlando Sentinel as one of ten inductees into the Culinary Hall of Fame for 2009.


Liberty Bakery was founded in 2007 by Sheila Sollie and Laura Costanzo, each a mother of an autistic child with food allergies and advocates of treatment with dietary intervention. The bakery features a variety of fresh baked cookies, breads, cupcakes and brownies free of gluten, wheat, casein, corn, soy and nuts.


Judging by the reaction of a customer I encountered when I visited their store, Liberty is definitely filling a need in the Central Florida area. The customer clutched the bread that Sheila handed her like it was her most prized possession and kept muttering "Bread, I can't believe I get to have BREAD"!


Although I do not have any food allergies myself, I opted to try a couple of cookies in honor of my friend, Victoria. Sheila recommended the chocolate chip minis and the gingerbread cookies. Both were tasty. I can just imagine how comforting the treats must be if you have been deprived due to dietary restrictions. Check out their web site to try some for yourself - libertybakeryonline.com


Many hugs,


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment