Friday, February 20, 2009

Friend's Favorite...Gooey Butter Cookies

Within minutes of telling my friend Chris in St. Louis about my cookie blog, I received a special gift. He e-mailed the recipe for his favorite...Gooey Butter Cookies. After trying out the recipe last night, I see why he loves them. The base of the cookie is a cake mix. It bakes up almost lighter than air into a heavenly, comforting treat.

Chris, thanks for sharing!

Gooey Butter Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix (I like Duncan Hines the best)
nonstick cooking spray
powdered sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat butter, vanilla, egg and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
Mix in dry cake mix. Cover and chill dough for at least 30 minutes. Lightly coat cookie sheet with cooking spray. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into bowl of powdered sugar; roll into balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Tip: Chris recommends using a dark cookie sheet for best results. I used my insulated cookie sheets lined with parchment paper instead of spraying with cooking spray and the cookies turned out great. I did bake for a couple minutes longer than suggested to achieve the golden brown color.

Many hugs,

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment